TABLE OF CONTENTS
Objectives of food storage standards
Importance of storage standards in companies
Basic rules in food warehouses
Emergency entrances and exits
Use of machinery
Hygiene and safety
Find the raw materials you need at Pochteca
Leave a comment Cancel reply
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
When it comes to the food industry, safety and hygiene standards are of great importance to ensure food integrity and safety for consumers. In addition to the choice of raw materials and production processes, food storage standards are key to the optimal care of products.
Today on the Pochteca blog we will tell you what the food storage rules consist of.
In general, storage standards may vary based on the type of products to be stored. Likewise, these standards are different from those that apply in logistics warehouses, although they may have some points in common, such as the storage system.
OBJECTIVES OF FOOD STORAGE STANDARDS
- Food storage must prevent the multiplication of microorganisms to prevent contamination.
- When storing food products, they must be classified based on categories such as entry dates, ingredients, expiration date, among other data that helps preserve their useful life.
- Reduce risks in warehouses, which are usually related to the way loading units are handled and the type of facilities.
- Extend the shelf life of food to the maximum to avoid losses.
IMPORTANCE OF STORAGE STANDARDS IN COMPANIES
As we mentioned above, food storage and handling standards can change from company to company. Therefore, it is essential to have clear, visible guidelines that employees know and can consult at any time, so that there is no room for doubt or ignorance.
Respecting safety and hygiene standards prevents incidents for both workers and materials and merchandise, keeping the warehouse operating in optimal conditions and with workflows focused on productivity.
BASIC RULES IN FOOD WAREHOUSES
Warehouses must have adequate lighting, since they are places where operators carry out many movements and processes of great importance, such as order preparation.
In a food warehouse, a special design is required to choose the ideal location for the luminaires, which usually go on the ceilings and in the center of the hallways to prevent the lights from generating shadows. In addition, it is essential to choose lights that ensure visual comfort, high color rendering so that the colors of objects are correctly reproduced, and LED lights that promote energy savings and do not cause heat, which can affect food.
Temperature is essential to keep food in good condition, avoiding excess heat that can cause the development of microorganisms that affect food.
EMERGENCY ENTRANCES AND EXITS
In every warehouse there must be regular and emergency exits that are free of obstacles, so that a safe evacuation can be carried out in the event of accidents.
As in the previous point, all warehouses must have elements such as fire alarms, fire extinguishers, hoses, kits to contain spills, among other accessories to preserve the safety of both the warehouse and the merchandise as well as the staff.
Especially warehouses where industrial machinery is used must be wide enough to easily maneuver, turn, pick orders and perform other routine operations.
USE OF MACHINERY
It is essential to have regulations for the use of machinery that range from daily visual inspections to ensure that they work correctly, to the way of driving, maximum speed, safety distances, load limits and signaling of the appropriate lanes to circulate.
The organization of the products must be carried out based on a system, which can be LIFO (last in, first out) or FIFO (first in, first out) depending on if they are perishable and the level of rotation they have in the warehouse.
HYGIENE AND SAFETY
This point is very broad since it covers all stages and processes in the food industry, from production to warehouse exits. For example:
- Work areas must be designated for specific and exclusive purposes, and rooms must be separated by at least one wall.
- If you work with perishable products, they must be stored in refrigeration or freezing chambers, at optimal humidity and temperature levels.
- Food and drinks should not be placed on the floor when stored; they should be placed on pallets at a minimum distance of 20 cm above the floor and 60 cm below the ceiling.
- If there are rejected products, they must be disposed of in a hygienic and ecological manner.
- Work machinery must be cleaned and lubricated with food grade products to avoid poisoning.
- Food warehouses must be free of cross-contamination, so they must be isolated from external agents with airtight doors and in areas where the risk of contamination, flooding, pests and other harmful agents is reduced.
- Warehouse surfaces must be washable, waterproof, easy to clean and disinfect so that they can be guaranteed to always be clean.
- The pavement or floor of the warehouse should not be absorbent, but waterproof, non-combustible, easy to disinfect, with non-slip and highly resistant surfaces.
FIND THE RAW MATERIALS YOU NEED AT POCHTECA
At Pochteca we are a company that sells raw materials for the industry. With us you will find materials to make cleaning products , food additives , packaging products, solvents , and much more.
Browse our website to learn about all the products we have for your industry. Purchase them through the quote and if you have questions, write to us through the online chat where our advisors are ready to assist you.